The type of BEANS we are talking about are Pinto, Black, Red, Kidney, Garbonzo, Lentils, etc.
Why eat Beans?
Here are just a few benefits:
1. Beans are one of the least processed, least packaged and least chemically treated foods you can purchase.
2. Beans are recognized for their great health benefits.
3. Beans are rich in thiamine (B1), pyridoxine (B6), niacin and folic acid.
4. Minerals in beans include iron, calcium, phosphorus and potassium.
5. Beans are high in fiber.
6. Fiber is one of the keys to a healthy diet, reducing the chances of some types of cancer by keeping the digestive tract healthy.
7. Beans are cholesterol free and can actually aid in lowering the body’s cholesterol level because of their high concentration of soluble fiber.
8. Soluble fiber forms high-density lipoproteins, which help clean the arteries.
9. By adding beans to a low cholesterol diet, you can lower your cholesterol level by as much as 15 – 20 percent.
10.Because beans digest more slowly than some other high carbohydrate foods, a meal with beans stays with you to satisfy hunger longer.
11.Beans are inexpensive and almost a complete protein.
12.When mixed with small amounts of meat, dairy products or cereal grains like rice or corn, all the essential amino acids are available for a nutritious meal.
13.Add leftover beans to soups, stews, salads, and casseroles for extra flavor, texture and nutritional value. Small amounts, mashed or pureed, can be used to thicken sauces and soups