In sharing these dating ideas I hope to encourage you to get away from the “dinner and movie” rut… or inspire you to start dating your significant other again. It’s exciting to try something new, which always leads to new conversation, perspective and insights.
· Find a place where there is an echo and have an instrumental and/or vocal jam session. The instruments may be improvised.
· Create a scavenger hunt date for cookie and cake ingredients. Then go home and make them together.
· Plan a tape-recording date. See who can come up with the most unusual sounds.
· Hula-hoop date. See how many things the two of you can come up with by using a hula hoop.
· Have a limbo contest for a date.
· Go for a bike ride on a bicycle built for two.
· Build a tree house together.
· Have a grass fight.
· Have a knot-tying contest. (If you don’t remember how to tie knots, consult a Boy Scout or a Boy Scout handbook.)
· Build a dam in the gutter on a rainy day and go wading in it.
· Run or walk through the sprinklers like you did when you were a kid.
· Find a large refrigerator box and have dinner in it.
· Have mini car races and competitions down a racecourse made of rain cutter for the track. Make the track as long as you like.
· Skip pebbles in a lake or pond. See who can make it bounce the farthest.
· Get on a raft or a big floatation devise on a lake and have lunch.
· Go swimming in a hot springs.
· Fill an entire room full of balloons – get an air pump ($3) and/or a helium tank. You can also do half with helium and half with air. For some of the non-helium balloons, write love notes and stuff in the balloon before they are blown up or fill with candy and goodies. See how many balloons it takes to fill a room.
· Be a kid again and play with dough. Pick one of many recipes to make from the "Kid Concoctions" collections. Examples include Peanut Play Dough, Woody Wood Dough, Plastic Dough, Java Dough, Salt Map Dough, Applesauce Cinnamon Dough, Fruity Play Dough. Have your own little contests in different categories such as: the craziest, tallest, most clever, most scientific, most realistic, most elaborate, etc. (From Kid Concoctions: ISBN: 0-9661088-0-9)
· Plan an Ooey-Gooey date! From the "Kid Concoctions" collections pick a paste, putty, clay such as: Gooey Gunk, Funny Putty, Magic Muck, Paper Clay, Oatmeal Play Clay, Paper Mache Paste, Cotton Clay, Jewel & Gem Goop, Crafty Clay, Sand Castle Clay, Super School Glue, Flower Petal Clay. Have contests and competitions complete with a certificate, ribbon or prize. (From Kid Concoctions: ISBN: 0-9661088-0-9)
· Buy birdseed to feed the birds in the park.
· Roast marshmallows or hot dogs over an open fire.
· Plan a THEME Date. A few ideas include BBQ Western, Hawaiian or Tropical, Sports, Carnival, Garden, Pirate, Wizard, Princess, Safari, Outer Space/Alien, Any Holiday such as; Christmas, Easter, Valentine, Patriotic, Thanksgiving, New Years Eve, St. Patrick’s Day, Cinco de Mayo, etc. Any era such as the 20’s, 30’s, 40’s, 50’s, 60’s, 70’s, 80’s, 90’s, turn of the century, or futuristic, etc. Or plan any culture or international date i.e. Italian, Mexican, Greek, Brazilian, Southern, Canadian, African, Asian, Alaskan, etc.
· Photography Date. Pick the backdrop and scenery at a number of great locations – Parks, Mountains, Lakes, Historic Buildings, Tourist Attractions, etc.
Find a quiet, secluded area with no cell phones, Internet, TV, or any other electronic distractions and ask your date these questions. If you've known each other for a long time, see if you can complete your dates answer correctly. Since some of these answers may change as we get older, try to think of how your date would answer these questions today.
· Where is your family heritage from?
· Where is your favorite vacation spot?
· What is your favorite color?
· What is your favorite book?
· What kind of trees would you love to have on your property?
· If you could build your house out of any kind of building materials, what would they be?
· What is the age you have enjoyed the most, so far, in your life?
· What is your favorite breakfast meal? Dinner meal? Snack?
· Who is your favorite basketball team?
· Who is your favorite football team?
· Who is your favorite baseball team?
· Who is your favorite singer or group of singers?
· Name a favorite teacher you have had in your life? What impact did they have on you?
· Throughout your life, name someone famous that has influenced you in your life.
· Name something you would like to receive for Christmas, Halloween, your Birthday, Easter, 4th of July, Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day, Memorial Day, Labor Day, Graduation Day, your Anniversary, when school ends, etc?
· Name one thing you would like to do for Christmas, Halloween, Birthday, Easter, 4th of July, Valentines Day, when school ends, etc?
· Name one place you would like to go for Christmas, Halloween, Birthday, Easter, 4th of July, Valentines Day, when school ends, etc?
· What was the best thing you ever did on Christmas, Halloween, Birthday, Easter, 4th of July, Valentines Day, when school was out, over Labor Day, Thanksgiving, St. Patrick’s Day, on your anniversary, in the winter, summer, spring, fall, etc.?
· Name the scariest, most unusual or most exciting thing you have ever done? Or a trip that you’ve been on?
· Name a time when you were locked out of your car or your house. What did you do and how long did it take you until you finally got in?
· What do or did you like most about…. your favorite animal, favorite relative, favorite teacher, favorite friend?
· What do YOU think is one of your BEST talents, sports, hobbies, skills?
· What is one of your favorite things to do when you are alone?